The Northern Rhode Island Collaborative, in conjunction with the Jefferson County Educational Service Center in Steubenville, Ohio, offers school districts a complete portfolio of academic courses, Grades 3-12, aligned to stringent national standards. With over eighty (80) courses to choose from, you now have the ability to offer your students an alternative educational choice of the highest quality. To view the Virtual Learning Academy at the Jefferson County Educational Service Center in Ohio, please go to http://www.jcesc.k12.oh.us/VLA.aspx .
OVERVIEW -- What is VLA?
The Virtual Learning Academy .......
- Teaches required subjects for graduation
- Includes a complete portfolio of academic courses (Gr. 3-12)
- Fits all learning styles
- Appeals to students' interests
- Fulfills the needs of students and families
- Provides supplemental assessment & intervention activities
- Encourages independent research
- Builds creative thinking
- Uses resources that include the best libraries, museums & information archives in the world.
An Alternative Choice
Students now have the alternative educational choice. The VLA reaches out to students who are........
- Credit deficient and/or summer school
- Dropped-out, excluded and/or expelled
- Advanced placement & honors courses
- Assigned to alternative schools
The Web-based program makes required courses like Math, English, History & Science interesting and inspiring. VLA can be used for students at the elementary, middle or high school level. High school curriculum can be used for either a general high school education or one geared towards college-prep.
The Virtual Learning Academy provides ......
- Full credit courses that contain 36 lessons & are assigned for one school year
- Half credit courses that contain 18 lessons that can be completed in one semester
- Lessons that take approximately 4 hours to complete for a total of 144 hours to achieve one course credit
- Use of the Internet as a textbook
- Answer keys provided with the software license
- Flexible, customizable, interactive curriculum
- Changing & updated curriculum for current & relevant material
- Lessons that require students to read & demonstrate ability to analyze, think & articulate thoughts
- Use of an active learning style
- On-line access day or night, 24 hours a day
The Virtual Learning Academy benefits students by ......
- Increasing test scores
- Increasing student retention
- Lowering dropout rates
- Increasing graduation rates
- Increasing/supplementing course offerings
- Increasing self-esteem & self-confidence
- Developing communication skills, independent thinking skills & goal setting skills
Please contact your local school district's administration office for more details on your district's program. All enrollments must go through your local school district's administration office.
For additional information, please contact Kris Waxman at NRIC 495-2032 or email@example.com. If you're faxing in the applications, please note our fax number is 401-333-3572.
- NRIC Virtual Learning Academy Student Application 2012-13
- NRIC Virtual Learning Academy Faculty Application
(Please note that you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read and/or print these forms).